Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I'm such a fan boy...

Last night was much better than the night before. For starters dinner was one of the best meals I have ever had. We ate at Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian churrascaria. I finally got to try the "Gaucho-style" I spoke of yesterday. Fantastic doesn't quite cover it. Everything was amazing and I just kept coming, more and more. Before I could finish one thing there would be someone offering me something else. It was excellent. Fogo is expensive but worth every penny.

After dinner I retired to hotel for about an hour and began the difficult task of digesting the massive meal I had just consumed. After an hour Barry picked me up and then we headed off to the real event of the evening, Mike Doughty at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta, GA.

In all fairness I must say that I am a huge fan of Mike Doughty. I think he is one of the best artists touring right now and I have seen him multiple times. For three year after Soul Coughing broke up Doughty would just tour the country with a guitar and his van and play where ever he could for small audiences. Over that time he has built up quite a reputation and released 3 self produced albums. Recently this year he signed with ATO records, release a new album, Haughty Melodic, and began touring with a full backing band. This brings us up to now.

Last nights show, in typical Mike Doughty fashion, was incredible. Not only are all of his songs full of energy, but you can never tell what he's going to do next. Last night, along with a plethora of his own great songs he also covered Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf", Guns 'N Roses' "Paradise City", and Kenny Rodger's "The Gambler". He also did a special new remix of "Fire Truck" and "It's Raining Men".

After the show Barry and I hung around for a bit and finished our beers and then I went to the Merch table and bought a shirt. Mike was signing things at the table so I had him sign my ticket and told him that I thought he was one of the best acts on the road and to keep it up. He said thanks a lot, I'll see you soon. I'm such a fucking fan boy. Oh well, I'll see him again in Indy. B

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike H. said...

Yo Byron -- tell me my homeboy is going to be around the weekend of Oct 15. I'll be coming down from
Chi to kick it with all the Indy B-boys, so i hope you are around. Let me know. I'll be coming down Friday afternoon and leaving monday most likely.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

Uh oh Byron, it's been a week since your last post. Don't let it die man!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home