Monday, September 19, 2005

Klosterman, North Carolina, and Cracker Barrel

With my new job I find myself traveling almost every week to a different city. Last week I was in Winston- Salem, North Carolina, home of The Salem witch trials and Big Tobacco. There is not much to do in Winston aside from a couple of good restaurants and a decent local Brewery, so I find myself with a lot of free time. Last week I was able to finish "Cash", Johnny Cash's autobiography and I went to the bookstore and picked up Chuck Klosterman's latest, "Killing Yourself to Live, 85% of a True Story". I finished it in two days.

Klosterman was up to par with what I have come to expect. His self deprecating wit,and unbridled rock snobbery were just what I was looking for. Half analysis of his life long loves and half on location rock history research, it made for a wonderful read. I was very interested in his trip though North Carolina being as that was my current location. There is a great anecdote where he stops at a Cracker Barrel in NC and runs into bespeckeled Kafka reading waitress that frankly, shocks him. Being on the road myself in this great state, on my way home (aka the Airport) I stopped in the first Cracker Barrel I came across. Not only was I craving some Chicken Fired Chicken with Sawmill Gravy and Dumplins, but I was also secretly hoping to run across this erudite waitress. Although my meal was good, I left with my quest unfulfilled, no waitress met his description.

On a lighter note, my favorite band that you've never heard of, Forget Cassettes, has reunited. If you have not heard of them I suggest checking them out immediately. You'll thank me later. This week I find myself in historic HOTlanta, GA. Stay tuned for more updates from the Peach State. b

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike H. said...

"I am extremely delicious"
-Sawmill Gravy

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home